School starts this week for the big and the little.
We have the supplies, we’ve met the teachers, and even been shopping for food to make lunch boxes.
But we had hopes of more beach trips, more time with family,
more some craft projects, more bike rides, more popsicles. We were going to get organized (you know, for the first time ever) and have our home office area a space we would want to work in and keep things well organized in. We were going to finish some painting, finish some floors, and finally design our bedroom retreat.
Now we jump into mornings of hurry, nights of homework and bedtimes, worse traffic, calendars and papers galore, and juggling more than ever. I’d like to put a hold on time.
I’m not ready!
Since I can’t, my backup technique is reminding myself of all the good things. So here is my list of the top things I’m looking forward to in the next few months, and why I’m almost celebrating back to school.
1. Sports. We’re just weeks away from the start of College Football- here in the South, NFL is fun, but mostly for when there is no College game on. Go Gators! Along with that is the start of another baseball season. We don’t take many breaks with Drew, but he’s had a longer than expected break this summer, and we’re all ready to get going. PLUS! Ben starts t-ball! For all this alone, it’s almost worth the end of summer.
2. Cooler Weather. HA! Summer is only actually halfway over, and we have plenty of near 100 degree weather left here in Florida. But we like to think that it’s around the corner, and start to believe that we’ll have relief one day.
3. Learning & Independence. Drew likes to learn, and even Ben has been pretending to do homework recently. They soak up knowledge and the chance to expand their thinking. I love seeing that happen, and as many good things as we’ve had about the summer, lots of learning was not one of them. It’s also time where they can be outside of our wings, but still in a protected place, growing and finding out who they are.
4. Time with Friends. It’s so much fun to hear the stories back from school of the friends being reconnected with, and new friendships being made. And for us, we reconnect with some baseball families that we’re all friends with, connect with new families, and start to build upon the amazing network we already have.
5. New Possibilities. At the start of a new year, there are so many possibilities. We can’t know everything that will unfold, and that’s pretty exciting. What doors will God open? What opportunities present themselves? What closes? While sometimes nerve wracking to think about, it also is faith building. To know that God is in control, and tomorrow may not look like today. Tomorrow may be even better.
We start back before a lot of other areas do, so some of you may just be starting to think of Back to School. Are you ready, are your kids ready? What are you looking forward to?